PDA

View Full Version : Briggs to Wash???

Bockstock
Mar 27th 2007, 10:31 am
Sources say that Washington is offering their #1 (6th overall) and #6 to the Bears for Briggs

I haven't seen the latest draft projectsions, but I would hope the Bears would consider taking this offer and hopefully target the Miami Hurricanes TE with the #6 selection.

CubsFan23
Mar 27th 2007, 11:08 am
I think we should still keep our first round pick. If we deal him do it straight for the #6 pick. I would rather keep him though!

Bockstock
Mar 27th 2007, 12:34 pm
I think we should still keep our first round pick. If we deal him do it straight for the #6 pick. I would rather keep him though!

You're right.. Now they are talking about swapping first round picks. I agree deal him straight or no deal.

MY question is (for all the technical NFL people): If Briggs had chosen to sign with Washington, wouldn't we get a supplemental 1st rd pick anyway since he is the tagged "Franchise Player"???

scuba
Apr 7th 2007, 1:58 pm
Looks like the deal is dead, at least for now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2823964

SkullKey
Apr 27th 2007, 2:15 pm
The last I read about this issue (a few hours old as I post this):

" .....* Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said this week that agent Drew Rosenhaus is the primary reason he put the kibosh to the trade of unhappy linebacker Lance Briggs to the Redskins. Rosenhaus represents Briggs, who has vowed never to play for the Bears after they placed the franchise tag on him in February. The Redskins have offered their first-round pick to the Bears for Briggs and their first-round pick (31st overall). Last month, Rosenhaus incensed Angelo when he paraded Briggs in front of other teams at the league meetings in Phoenix in an attempt to drum up trade interest. "I was very turned off by that," the Bears GM said. "We are a business. We are a profession, and there are certain ways you do business." Angelo said he won't trade Briggs now because it would look like Rosenhaus had engineered it. "It's important that message comes through loud and clear," he said. "Based on [what Rosenhaus did], we'll never do that deal because then the deal looks like [the agent orchestrated it]. You can't operate that way." ..... "

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnists/20070427_Paul_Domowitch___Recent_draftees_need_to_ make_impact.html

Sounds like some real animosity in the world of NFL power structure .

VanMan
Apr 27th 2007, 7:53 pm
If Drew Rosenhaus is involved, then you know there's nothing but trouble for the team.

SkullKey
Apr 30th 2007, 11:10 pm
" ..... target the Miami Hurricanes TE ..... "

You certainly called that one "Bockstock" and a very nice call at that. I like this kid Olsen, he just might make substantial contribution to the bears next year and the years to come. Grossman has his positives and his obvious negatives (most of which I believe can be attributed to youth, inexperience and unfair over-expectations on the part of fans and the pundits (and other fools). One thing I perceive is a "high positive" part of his game and a part I have a feeling Angelo Dundee also recognizes is that Rex has excellent feel for the TE game. The short passing , possession game for the Bears, in every application just might be exceptional. Really exceptional. Keep those drives going ! Now let's get the deep-strike game going.

What made you focus on Olsen ? I imagine you are very surprised and delighted he fell to 31?

Madden King
May 3rd 2007, 6:46 pm
Looks like the deal is dead, at least for now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2823964
I really hate that it didn't happen! :( Even if the Bears are able to get Briggs to play this season, they are gonna be dealing with an unhappy player all year-long. That doesn't help the team at all!! I hope I'm wrong about this.