fogpog

fogpog (http://www.fogpog.com/index.php)
-   The Bleachers (http://www.fogpog.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   spring training (http://www.fogpog.com/showthread.php?t=947)

P-Ram Mar 3rd 2007 8:54 am

spring training

do you care about winning games more or how each individual player is doing?

scuba Mar 3rd 2007 9:20 am

How players are doing, definitely. ST lineups and situations are so much different than the actual season. You just want players to get their work in and work on their stuff as ST progresses. Wins and loses don't matter.

ryno4ever Mar 3rd 2007 9:20 am

Winning is nice, but this is the time when players get their timing down, the team develops the chemistry they need to win when the wins count, and a great time for them to try new things without all of the pressure they would have during the season. It's hard to keep these in mind, though, when the games are on. I've missed baseball so much, I want it to be competitive right now!

BigZ38 Mar 3rd 2007 9:50 am

It doesn't matter the wins and loses at the end of spring training so it's most definatly how the players do. I don't so much look at their stats as look to see if their getting their pitches over or if their getting their timing back.

Ivy Killa Mar 3rd 2007 10:26 am

The wins are nice but yea...it's all about preparing for the regular season.

HOLYCOW!25 Mar 3rd 2007 10:31 am

Right now I don't think they're that important, but as more and more cuts come, and our starters are out there playing most of the game, it's more important.

ChinMusic22 Mar 3rd 2007 11:16 am

How the players are doing. The won/loss record is only a real concern when the team is blowing games, and the pitching is in the tanks, therefore it effects personal performance...

Early in ST it's meaningless though...

VanMan Mar 3rd 2007 2:31 pm

I echo most of the sentiments of the previous posters. For the first two weeks of Spring Training games, the important part is that the players are honing their skills and working out the rust and kinks in their games prior to the regular season. The the third week, then we can start seeing some team baseball develop. By the final week of Spring Training, I'd like to see some wins as the final roster starts to take shape. Then on April 2, everything starts to count.

Al Spanglers ghost Mar 5th 2007 7:39 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanMan (Post 11171)
I echo most of the sentiments of the previous posters. For the first two weeks of Spring Training games, the important part is that the players are honing their skills and working out the rust and kinks in their games prior to the regular season. The the third week, then we can start seeing some team baseball develop. By the final week of Spring Training, I'd like to see some wins as the final roster starts to take shape. Then on April 2, everything starts to count.

Well said vanman.That is exactly how I feel about spring training.

ICcubfan Mar 5th 2007 10:31 am

Not had a chance yet

to see what we look like but I hope to in the next week. There is no need to panic but we need to play good fundamental baseball at the end. No mental errors and routine plays should be made. I agree with Lou that if you settle for stuff in spring training it can carry over. I still have quesitons at short and 2nd base and our rotation jsut like everyone else. I still think the outfield is in flux. I do not expect we know what our outfield is going to be opening day.
I hope we get more insight as the spring goes along.
It is next year.