fogpog

fogpog (http://www.fogpog.com/index.php)
-   The Bleachers (http://www.fogpog.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I have lost interest in the Cubs (http://www.fogpog.com/showthread.php?t=6102)

ICcubfan Mar 15th 2010 1:18 pm

I have lost interest in the Cubs

I guess it might be my age 45 but I don't really see anything good happening this year and even more disturbing, I am not that broken up about it. It feels a little strange like a family member has died.:confused:

Doba Mar 16th 2010 4:26 am

You are not alone. The last three seasons have pushed me away. I even bought a Twins hat the other day.

LeeEila's/rant Mar 16th 2010 7:23 am

Have you guys seen any of the preseason games ? I have watched all that I could and I have learned that Ryno is going to have one hell of a good team ! There are some real good players in our AAA team and if this team can't do it this next one looks to be much fun and very surprising.

ICcubfan Mar 16th 2010 9:11 am

Good news- I want to see young players as apposed to hoppy and others collecting a paycheck of unusual size. They almost look like they have contempt for the fans who pay them. Ryno would have hoppy downsize his bat or he would bench him. We need Ryno to get something out of these fat cats or bench em Lou won't do that. Getting a little fire back.

LeeEila's/rant Mar 16th 2010 10:49 am

Right on ! I don't want the kids any where near Lou. He has shown in the past to not be attentive enough to put players in positions to succeed.

Bockstock Mar 16th 2010 11:10 am

wow I actually have the opposite opinion. I think one of Lou's advantage is that he limits the negative damage a player can have (unfortunately this backfires with players like Pie, Wuertz)

I'm torn on Ryno. I hate to say it, but he seems to be a Dusty Baker-style manager. On one point, I like the fact he stood by Julio Castillo and defended him during the trial; I think that earned him big points with the organization and especially some of the minor league players. on the other, some of his moves in AA were mind-boggling.

LeeEila's/rant Mar 16th 2010 1:14 pm

Quote:

I think one of Lou's advantage is that he limits the negative damage a player can have (unfortunately this backfires with players like Pie, Wuertz)
How is that ? Could it be the way he bounced Fontenot from position to position and then blamed him for his drop in run production ? Could it be that after Fukuy's first year in MLB and his quick drop off and was then blamed for lack of lefthanded bat whay we failed in playoffs ? Maybe how he would let Hoff sit for weeks then drop him in a bad lefty situation and then show disappointment when he failed.

It may be that I just really don't like Lou and still wish he would have been fired after '08. I don't think he has it in him to lead a team to win the World Series. Sure he did it once many years ago but then again I used to be able to screw all night . Much like Lou , I no longer have the ability or even the desire to put that much work into it any more.

ryno4ever Mar 16th 2010 3:43 pm

I haven't lost interest, but I do have to say that I am going into the season with a different outlook...not as much by choice.... Optimistically cautious. That 2008 magic is going to be really hard to ever feel again, and that was the most magical season I can remember, only to end in such an abrupt disappointment that I do believe still leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth to this day.

I am all for Sandberg managing the big leagues, but not until he has been a bench coach under someone who does have experience for at least a year, whether it be Lou or Allen Trammel, or even Brenley, if Lou and Allen leave. There is still a very big difference in managing a minor league team and a major league team.

Bockstock Mar 16th 2010 6:31 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant (Post 77446)
How is that ? Could it be the way he bounced Fontenot from position to position and then blamed him for his drop in run production ? Could it be that after Fukuy's first year in MLB and his quick drop off and was then blamed for lack of lefthanded bat whay we failed in playoffs ? Maybe how he would let Hoff sit for weeks then drop him in a bad lefty situation and then show disappointment when he failed.

Point taken, Lee. But who else was he going to put in there?? Freel, Blanco, Scales, Miles??

I was thinking more in the 2007 and 2008 where he didn't hesitate to pull Wade Miller, Izturis, Murton, Barrett etc.

And for people who want Sandberg for manager, is there any other reason other than he's a club legend?? I've read plenty of criticism over how he managed in Tennessee, but I'm interested to see what other people think, though I generally agree with Heather's assessment

ARamfan Mar 16th 2010 10:09 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICcubfan (Post 77440)
I guess it might be my age 45 but I don't really see anything good happening this year and even more disturbing, I am not that broken up about it. It feels a little strange like a family member has died.:confused:

I felt that way most of last season. I haven't even posted here in months because of feeling that way. But, I saw them here in Spring Training last Mon. and I have a little bit of renewed hope. I, like Ryno, am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic. :(