fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:01 pm
MVP

My Mood:

The First Spring Training Report 2008!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

overview: Dempster says we will win it all, TheRiot shows up early with a bunch of other scrubs, Fukudome will show up friday.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=chc

Dempster predicts Cubs will win it all
Piniella focused on this year only as pitchers, catchers report
By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

MESA, Ariz. -- Last year, Carlos Zambrano boasted he would win the Cy Young Award and the Cubs would take the World Series. On Wednesday, before most of the pitchers and catchers had unpacked their gear, Ryan Dempster predicted the team will end its 100-year championship drought.

"I think we're going to win the World Series," Dempster said. "I really do. I wouldn't have worked as hard as I did and everybody worked as hard as they did to not believe that."

He's not kidding, folks.

"It's funny when people make predictions and say things, and people say, 'How can you say that?'" Dempster said. "Enough of the curse this, the curse that, the goat this, the black cat, the 100 years, whatever it is. We're a better team than we were last year, I truly believe, and last year we made it to the playoffs and it was a battle to make it. I just feel our chances are better.

"It's not just going to happen, it's not a gimme," he said. "We have to work our tails off to do it. I like our team and I like where we're at. I truly believe the guys in there want it as much as anything."

The Cubs have not won a World Series since 1908, a fact the players will be reminded of more than once in Spring Training. Pitchers and catchers reported on Wednesday to Fitch Park, as well as several position players, and many shared Dempster's belief, even if they weren't ready to say it out loud.

"We'll find out where we stand in October," reliever Scott Eyre said. "Until then, it's the same old cliche: Go play."

Cubs manager Lou Piniella, refreshed from a week-long ski vacation in Aspen, liked what he heard.

"I like the confidence that our players have," Piniella said. "I think as a team we were disappointed in the way our season ended abruptly last year. I remember when I played with the Yankees in '76, we were swept [in the World Series], and as a man, we vowed we'd do better, and '77 and '78 turned out pretty well."

Piniella was an outfielder on the Yankees teams that won the World Series in both 1977 and '78.

"Our division has gotten tougher, the National League has gotten tougher, so we have to go out and play," Piniella said. "This year, we know the players a lot better, the players know the staff a lot better, and it's a big advantage for us. But at the same time, it's a bold prediction and you've just got to get it done on the field."
Pitchers and catchers take that first step on Thursday with a workout at Fitch Park. Rain is in the forecast, but it probably won't dampen the enthusiasm.

"You're always excited for baseball to start again," said Eyre, who played catch along with Jason Marquis in the outfield Wednesday.

The first day was a chance to get reacquainted and organized as coaches discussed the game plan for most of the morning. Zambrano showed off his sleek, black Lamborghini, Michael Wuertz brought red licorice for his teammates, while early bird position players like Ryan Theriot, Tyler Colvin, Sam Fuld, Jake Fox and Koyie Hill took grounders on the half field at Fitch. Position players don't have to report until Feb. 18.

"I try to approach this season just like I've approached the last four, five seasons of professional baseball, and that's trying to prove something," Theriot said. "I always thought once you got complacent, that's when somebody sneaks in and takes something from you."

The Cubs prepared for the arrival of Kosuke Fukudome, who is expected Friday. The media relations department has issued press releases in Japanese to handle the foreign press corps which will be covering the outfielder.

"From the first time when we knew we were going to get him, his actions and his comments through his agent were all about coming here, doing his part, proving he can play at the highest level over here," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "He felt he was at the prime of his career. He's done everything to make sure he's accepted properly."

Fukudome, who has been working out in Los Angeles, apparently was worried that having an interpreter would be a problem. The Cubs have tried to put him at ease.

"He's a very focused man, and he's quite confident in himself that he's going to make the transition at a high level," Hendry said.

Did Theriot try to learn any Japanese this offseason?

"No," the shortstop said, laughing.

There is still that lingering number that will hover over the Cubs until they win a World Series. Piniella said he doesn't want his team worried about the last 99 years.

"That's going to be one of my messages when I talk to the team and we get everybody together -- 'Don't put that pressure on you. You worry about this year's team,'" Piniella said. "What's happened in the last 99 years -- [heck], I've only been here one. I'll take responsibility for one."

Said Hendry: "I'm good for five."

Hendry still has nightmares about the 2003 season, when the Cubs were five outs away from reaching the World Series. In Piniella's first year, the Cubs won the National League Central. That's a start.

"Let this team stand on its own merit," Piniella said of the 2008 Cubs. "Don't think about the past, don't think about 100 years -- think about this year here. That's all you can do. You can't do any more than that. That's basically going to be the crux of my message [to the full squad]. The more relaxed guys are and the more confident they are, the better.

"Stay positive about this year's team, that's really the focus," Piniella said.

Carrie Muskat is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:02 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
How refreshing..... and Z should consider himself crazy if he thinks he is going to drive his new wheels to Wrigley and try to have the parking guys try to park that car in their cramped quarters! (For those who have never been to Wrigley and have not seen their parking lot...the parking is like a jigsaw puzzle....very very cramped quarters enclosed in a chain linked fence surrounded by the tv and radio control trucks).
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:02 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno4ever View Post
How refreshing..... and Z should consider himself crazy if he thinks he is going to drive his new wheels to Wrigley and try to have the parking guys try to park that car in their cramped quarters! (For those who have never been to Wrigley and have not seen their parking lot...the parking is like a jigsaw puzzle....very very cramped quarters enclosed in a chain linked fence surrounded by the tv and radio control trucks).
I was watching the news a few days ago,all of that area is under construction, they had it fenced all around Wrigley, its all going to look real nice after they get it done.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:06 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

YES! New baseball news! Now I have something to focus my attention to instead of the stupid roid hearings.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:47 pm
MVP

Send a message via AIM to DLee25
Quote:
Actually, he won't have to worry about that. He recently called me (2-3 minutes ago) say he will fly me down, and I can drive the Lambo here to Iowa, just for a gift. He didn't really like the color, too boring.

PS, he also sent me VIP seat season tickets.

Haha, i only wish
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:12 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
Zambrano was named the Opening Day starter today. Not really a surprise but I now we talked about maybe having Lilly start it....but when you think of it it doesn't make much sense to do that because either way it's his first start of the year and he'll be just as pumped.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:57 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
I've already decided that come hell or highwater... or 12 feet of snow (which may be actually realistic at this point LOL) I WILL BE AT OPENING DAY! I asked my dad if he was in when I go to get tickets, he asked if I could guarantee it to be warm, I told him "no" but I can guarantee it will be Cubs vs. Brewers on Opening Day at Wrigley Field. He told me to get him a ticket then. LOL

Have you seen Z? He looks awesome! Even Lou commended him on how good he looks. He has slimmed down and says he is much more relaxed this year.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:21 am
All-Star

My Mood:

Quote:
I remember a game I went to in 2004. We got there early and decided to hang out at the Cubs parking lot. Jose Macias pulled up in a brand new white Lamborgini. I didn't think that the Cubs were paying him that well. He wouldn't let any of the attendants park it, but, for the cars sake, it would have been better off if they did. He made several attempts to back the car up against the wall on the leftfield side of the ballpark. It must have been a 5 or 6 speed standard transmission, because he was having problems with it cutting out on him. When he would start it back up, he was revving it at maximum RPM'S. After about 10 minutes of fighting with it, he got it parked. I looked to my girlfriend and said, what a waste of machinery.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:52 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Soto was just on the radio talking about winning the world series . BigZ , Dempster came in down 40 pounds and ready to rumble , they are taking this serious .
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:59 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz57 View Post
I remember a game I went to in 2004. We got there early and decided to hang out at the Cubs parking lot. Jose Macias pulled up in a brand new white Lamborgini. I didn't think that the Cubs were paying him that well. He wouldn't let any of the attendants park it, but, for the cars sake, it would have been better off if they did. He made several attempts to back the car up against the wall on the leftfield side of the ballpark. It must have been a 5 or 6 speed standard transmission, because he was having problems with it cutting out on him. When he would start it back up, he was revving it at maximum RPM'S. After about 10 minutes of fighting with it, he got it parked. I looked to my girlfriend and said, what a waste of machinery.
LOL

That's awesome. It would have been more fitting if he had been driving a gremlin.

Hopefully they show some picture's of Lieber's truck at ST.

That thing is straight out of "Mad Max: Road Warrior." From what I remember the cab has to sit 5-6 feet off the ground.