fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:39 pm
MVP

My Mood:
I am firmly of the opinion - and we'll never know - that if Dallas Green had stayed the "long wait" would probably be over. He really was running a tight ship moving fast on the right course.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:49 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I am really 'excited' to watch the Cubs (maybe not the right word)

I am just itching to know if

a) Soto will bounce back and how good he will be
b) Wells is the real deal
c) Fontenot can bounce back
d) Fukudome will improve another 40-50 OPS points
e) How much Soriano bounces back

That's all I really care about right now; I think the rest of the team will perform close to expectations. It all goes back to basic statistics. The average capabilities and talent level of the team seems to be an 81-85 win team. One or two outliers in either direction (injuries or players vastly exceeding expecations) could skew the team in either direction.

I also feel the Cubs will make a somewhat significant trade this season, based on some of the talent starting to reach the upper levels and the Cubs being really deep at several key positions that have trade value (C,2b,ss).
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:56 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Very true, bock... in just the few games I have gotten to see, and the interview and broadcasts, I am "encouraged" by what has happened so far in spring training.

1. Soto... I am sooooooo glad to see him come to camp this year ready to prove himself.

2. Wells... after today's outing where he got out of the bases loaded situation, it made me remember just how much I like this kid!

3. Fontenot? I don't know if I can be sold on him being an everyday player. With the love that Hendry has for second basemen, you would think he would have us a "no-doubter" everyday secondbaseman. I like Font off the bench... but everyday? eh...

4. I think Fukudome's expcetations were set wayyy to high when he first signed. I think the fact that many fans had seen or heard very little of Kouske except for a few You Tube videos, he was supposed to be the next coming of Babe Ruth in many fans' eyes. It didn't help that he struggled the first couple of months he was here, but quietly he has become a very effective player, but because the media hasn't really pointed out any of his positives, he's swept under the rug. I will NEVER forget his debut on Opening Day, when he hit that 9th inning, two out, game tying home run off Gagne. My seats were right under the upper deck behind home plate, if there was ever a time with the threat of the upperdeck crumbling down, that was it! You could FEEL Wrigley rocking!

5. Soriano...Ron was saying today that Rudy J. has been working with Soriano's timing of putting his front foot down in the sequence of his swing, and Soriano has been working really hard on it, and seemed to pay off today.

Game by game... I'm getting ready for the ride.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:15 am
All-Star

My Mood:

I'm looking forward to the daily banter of Pat and Ron on the radio. During Fridays broadcast, Pat was talking about how Ronnie was having trouble changing the TV station at home. He kept hitting 1,2 but nothing was happening. He called his wife Vicki in to try to figure it out. She discovered that Ronnie was trying to change the station with his cell phone.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 10:39 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Me, too, Taz! They are like a couple of friends that we haven't seen in a few months. Their flow of calling the game and just general conversation is one that can't be compared to anyone else. When I heard "Chicago Cubs Baseball is ON THE AIR" for the first time this year, I got goosebumples! They are helping me get back into the baseball spirit.

For those who can remember the 1969 season, did the next few seasons have as much of a "hangover" feeling as the 2008 season did? That year's magic started in the offseason, I couldn't wait for the season to start. The whole year was such an amazing ride... it's just so hard to think it can be like that again. But from what I have heard from others, 1969 was similar to 2008, but I wasn't around for that year.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 2:53 pm

Even though I'm a newbie here at fogpog, I am a lifelong, diehard Cubbies fan. I have to say, this Cubs team has given me hope big time in Spring Training.

BTW, the last time I got to listen to Pat & Ron (as I can't really listen to WGN 720 AM so much because I'm way far away from the WGN signal in the mountains of Western North Carolina), Pat was telling the story about Ron and the frozen yogurt machine, and I was LOLing almost the entire time!!

Pat & Ron, as Harry Caray once put it, is as good of a broadcasting team as I've ever heard.

BJ
Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:17 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

Welcome to fogpog BJ. Looking forward to your thoughts during the season.

Heather, 2008 was much more of a kick in the gut for me than 69. The Cubs were the best team in the NL, but it all ended quickly with the sweep by the Dodgers. The 69 season was a slow and painful death. The Cubs had a 8-1/2 game lead with six weeks left, but let it all slip away down the stretch.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:46 pm
MVP

My Mood:
sometimes these sleeper years are the best and they come out of nowhere. hey they took 3 out of 4 from the sux
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:14 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockstock View Post
I am really 'excited' to watch the Cubs (maybe not the right word)

I am just itching to know if

a) Soto will bounce back and how good he will be
b) Wells is the real deal
c) Fontenot can bounce back
d) Fukudome will improve another 40-50 OPS points
e) How much Soriano bounces back

That's all I really care about right now; I think the rest of the team will perform close to expectations. It all goes back to basic statistics. The average capabilities and talent level of the team seems to be an 81-85 win team. One or two outliers in either direction (injuries or players vastly exceeding expecations) could skew the team in either direction.

I also feel the Cubs will make a somewhat significant trade this season, based on some of the talent starting to reach the upper levels and the Cubs being really deep at several key positions that have trade value (C,2b,ss).
If all of that happens we are in the division race with 85 wins or more .

I know it is way too premature but the way Wells goes about his business , I see another Maddux. Look at the delivery and the way he falls off the mound and the way he attacks the hitters Wells really does look real.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:37 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

I am for one that is really leary on this season my reasons...
1. Can Z control himself and go back to winning games??
2. Rotation until Lilly comes back scares the heck out of me. 4th and 5th starter Silva?? Gorz??
3. Can Marmol really handle the 9th inning? with the game on the line and not give up walks/hits??
4. Marlon Byrd can he hit National League pitching??
5. Fuke/Theriot Good daily double #2 but you can't steal 1st in Fuke's case.