fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Everything Else > The Water Cooler
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:14 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
48 hours after history making event

Well, it's been nearly 48 hours since the junior Senator from Illinois became the first African-American president-elect. Now, I know Pres.-Elect Obama is a fan of the Southsiders, but I respect the man, and I supported him since the Iowa Caucus and voted for him two weeks ago Tuesday (early voting is available in Iowa). I think he can put this country back on the track that former Pres. Clinton had us eight years ago.

I'm wondering what you guys think. Where do you see Pres. Obama taking us? How quickly will he help steer the economy back to the upward trends? Will he be able to keep his "out of Iraq in 16 months" promise and redeploy the troops to Afghanistan to find Osama bin Laden? What do you hope he does beyond those issues?

If you want to know what his agenda will be a president, you can go to http://www.change.gov.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:46 am
Banned

As a female african american friend of mine said, "It's pretty simple what this election came down too, White Guilt". This wasn't a race based on policies, experience, or qualifications. This race came down to the color of two mens skin. I don't care what anyone tells you. Black people voted for Obama because he was black. White people voted for Obama because he was black. White liberals and their white guilt(which they have no reason to have) decided they owed it to Obama and his race to elect him as the next president. To me that's as wrong as a white person not voting for Obama because he was black. White people will give you some very phoney reasons as to why they voted for Obama. But white liberal guilt is the moral to this story. I don't agree with Obama being voted into office. And i'm angry with America for letting race be such a factor in their decision. But as an American I can only hope for good things out of my President, and hope for the best.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 7:47 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
No white guilt here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bims View Post
As a female african american friend of mine said, "It's pretty simple what this election came down too, White Guilt". ... White people will give you some very phoney reasons as to why they voted for Obama. But white liberal guilt is the moral to this story. ... And i'm angry with America for letting race be such a factor in their decision. But as an American I can only hope for good things out of my President, and hope for the best.
I must take issue with your accusation that white people voted for Obama out of "white guilt." I never had race in my mind. I thought he was the best out of the Democratic field and the best of the five remaning candidates (including McCain, Barr [the Libertarian], Nader and whoever was the Green candidate) in reuniting this country. As he originally said during his keynote speech at the DNC four years ago, "...there is only the United States of America."
Old Nov 8th 2008, 10:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMan View Post
I must take issue with your accusation that white people voted for Obama out of "white guilt." I never had race in my mind. I thought he was the best out of the Democratic field and the best of the five remaning candidates (including McCain, Barr [the Libertarian], Nader and whoever was the Green candidate) in reuniting this country. As he originally said during his keynote speech at the DNC four years ago, "...there is only the United States of America."
Race was what this election came down to. Black people voted for Obama because he was black. To me that's just as wrong as white people not voting for Obama because he was black. But what got Obama in the white house is "white guilt". ..... People want to rejoice over our 1st black president. But to me this whole situation is wrong. Martin Luther King preached of equality, not of forced statements of progress. Black people are above "white guilt" because they are our equal. Therefore they should be treated as such. Obama should've gotten all the crap from the media that McCain did. Obama got away with it because white liberals pushed for him to be in office. The media was unfairly soft on Obama and continues to be so. Heck saturday night live wouldn't touch making fun of Obama. All because the white liberal/white guilt media is afraid to be hard on african americans in society. They fear being called racist. ..... Here's a quick example of how the white liberal/white guilt media loves to create feeling of white guilt among white people in society. Two days after the United States elected it's 1st black President, ESPN "coincidentally" ran a story saying something like only 4 black head coaches will be in NCAA divison 1 at the end of this season. Anchor men shook their heads and said it was "terrible", and reporters yelled until their faces got red saying how wrong it all was. But what's so wrong about it? Maybe black men aren't interested in coaching college football. Maybe they aren't as good of coaches as other races. I don't know. I do know that we are past the point where a University will not hire a coach based on race. College football is a business. These Universities get alot of money from having winning programs. So if a guy can win, they will get a job coaching. The only color that matters to these universities is green. But ESPN will continue to play to white guilt and push this story. My question to ESPN is when will they tell us how "terrible" the declining numbers of whites in both the NFL and NBA is? When will they give us that story? The answer is never. ..... "White Guilt" isn't always conscious. It's beaten into out head through the media, movies, and TV shows. I'm pretty tired of it because white people have nothing to feel guilty about. I truly wish we all can be equal someday. But I don't see it happening for a very long time. White people need to do alot of changing because they are the problem!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:01 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
It is possible to vote for a black candidate because people see him as the best option for the country you know. Are there some people who voted for him because he was black? Sure there were. But just as many people voted against him because he's black. In the end, more people saw him as the best person to run our country, including me.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:16 pm

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLYCOW!25 View Post
It is possible to vote for a black candidate because people see him as the best option for the country you know. Are there some people who voted for him because he was black? Sure there were. But just as many people voted against him because he's black. In the end, more people saw him as the best person to run our country, including me.
Exactly! That's what I felt. His half-Africanness (invented a word here, since his father was from Kenya) has no bearing on why I voted for him. I felt he was the best man for the job, even if he's even better than the best woman. I felt better to have someone with inspiration in his words run this country than someone who has been a war hero.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:35 pm
Banned

Further proof of "white guilt" is the fact that nobody cared about the racist paper trails that follow Obama. The fact that the Rev Wright situation was not even looked twice at by people in this country, is a glowing example of "white guilt". I mean it's a fact that Rev Wright is a preacher who preaches white hate. Heck at his church CD's of white hate were being sold. He was Obama's preacher for years. He even married Obama and his wife. Yet Obama claims to not have known about Rev Wright's white hate teachings. Give me a break! White people bought that crap hook line and sinker on the shoulders of "white guilt". Racism bothers the hell outta me. If I heard a friend preach black hate, he'd stop being my friend the very second I heard it coming out of his mouth. ..... Here's another quick statement by Obama that should have bothered people but conveniently went under the radar. Obama stated early in October that if he becomes President he would like a Black person to take his place in the Senate. That's an awful suggestion! What does the race of the next Senator matter as long as he's the best person for the job? Why does his race take on any importance? I thought we are trying to move beyond something as trivial as a persons skin color. Can you imagine if McCain had said he wants a white person to take his place in the Senate? White people would burn him at the stake and call him a racist! ..... I can listen to "reasons" as to why people voted for Obama. But "white guilt" is what got Obama in the white house in the end. Sure a portion of voters voted for him because they are tired of Republicans. And alot of voters voted against Obama because he was black(stupid and trivial!). But the majority, the large group of people who voted for Obama and elected him the 44th President of the United States, did so on the shoulders of "white guilt"! ..... You ever ask the average white voter why they voted for Obama? Well if you do get ready for silly, empty phrases like " for change". Because they have no real reason. And to me they are as wrong with this country as the racist who hates people for color of their skin!
Sponsored Links