fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:21 pm
Administrator

My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to scuba Send a message via AIM to scuba Send a message via Yahoo to scuba
Who the Cubs should get for CF, and other notes...

Hey guys. I know I haven't posted much, but I do keep an eye on things each day here. Just thought I would share my opinion about how the offseason has gone to this point.

1) Center Field

I've been seeing a number of guys mentioned as being on the Cubs radar. From those I've seen, this is the order of interest I think the Cubs should have of the guys out there:
  1. Johnny Damon
  2. Marlon Byrd
  3. Scott Podsednik
  4. Basically ANYBODY besides Rick Ankiel
I don't think I've come across anything stating the Cubs have interest in Damon, but they should have. Now, I know he isn't stellar defensively (if he is even available to play CF) and that he is 36 years old, but what more would you want from a guy? He would be a left-handed hitting lead-off CF with power, speed, good OBP, great attitude, and oh yeah, championship experience. If we were willing to give Cameron a 2 year deal for $7-9M per year, then we should easily be willing to give Damon the same type of deal. I've heard he is looking for $11-13M a year, but he was willing to accept a 2 year deal from the Yankees for $10M per year before they got Nick Johnson. If he would accept a similar deal from the Cubs, they need to be all over that.

As for the other options, I like Byrd the best. I know he would require a bigger deal and some could look at it as a repeat of the whole Bradley thing, but I don't think attitude would be a problem with Byrd and he would be good. If the Cubs don't want to shell out the money for him (which would be understandable), then I think Podsednik is the next best option, as he would be relatively cheap and would give us a nice lead-off guy with some speed, which the current roster currently lacks badly. If it isn't any of these guys, then go with Johnson or Fuld or a platoon of the two.

As for Ankiel, I DESPERATELY hope the Cubs don't go that route. His production has fallen each of the last 2 years, he's an ex-Cardinal, he's got a low OBP, he used HGH, etc., etc. In my opinion, the Cubs have done a good job of trying to restore the chemistry of the team thru addition-by-subtraction so far this offseason and getting a guy like Ankiel would ruin that.

2) Milton Bradley

I don't want to re-hash this very much, but the bottom line is the Cubs had to get rid of him, they didn't have much (if any) leverage, and they were going to take a hit with any deal they would have made. I'm not a big fan of getting Silva (I would have much rather seen them eat most of his contract and gotten even just a nice bench player in return for him), but considering the limited interest in Bradley, it's not bad. I'm not saying Silva is good, but consider these points:
  • he is still only 30 years old
  • he had a couple solid years for the Twins a couple years back
  • he's going from the AL to the NL
  • reports are that he is pitching well this offseason and has dropped about 30 pounds
  • he would only be considered our 5th starter
  • the deal actually saved the Cubs a little money, which can be used elsewhere
Again, the Cubs were going to take a hit on any deal and no team was about to help the Cubs out with Bradley, so the Cubs did what they could. Plus, the money has to go somewhere, whether it was Bradley, Silva, or whatever, but the one constant was the Cubs HAD TO get rid of Bradley. Period.

3) HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

I'm off to Texas in a couple days and some nicer weather to see family. Whatever the rest of you are doing, have a good and safe Christmas and New Year's. Hopefully the Cubs will give us all a lot to cheer about in 2010!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:38 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Don't waste money on mediocre players like Podsenik and Byrd. DAmon can't play CF anymore.

Sign Reed Johnson and platoon Fuld/ReJo, save the money for after next year when there are much better FA available. Just because they have money doesn't mean they should spend it.

This team is not going anywhere in its current condition unless Samardzija can replicate Harden, Guzman stays healthy, and Marmol and Grabow stop waling guys. There's so many questions right now, and the salaries of many of the marginal players like Theriot and Marshall are only going to start increasing. Play it out with what they have and save the money for next year when you're going to get a bigger bang for your buck.

The Cubs are going to get better unless they start being smarter with their payroll.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 9:18 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I would disagree about Ankiel , we need someone that can hit with power. Fuld could always be used for defense. If we can be sure that Soto will be more like his first year and Soriano will ever hit again we could go with Johnson again.

I am not all that worried about the pitching. I know I am a minority in baseball but I don't believe you need to be any deeper than two really good pitchers then the rest fill in with durable guys that can stay in the game and give you a chance to win. The teams in the playoffs last year were not much deeper than two . Offense wins individual games.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 12:35 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post

I am not all that worried about the pitching. I know I am a minority in baseball but I don't believe you need to be any deeper than two really good pitchers then the rest fill in with durable guys that can stay in the game and give you a chance to win. The teams in the playoffs last year were not much deeper than two . Offense wins individual games.
The only reason the SP was good last year was the depth since every starter spent time on the DL. This year its a much blurrier picture.

Z
Demp
ok - these guys are solid, I'm actually sold more on Dempster than I was after 2008, he had a good second half, and I believe his first half struggles had to do with his family matters

Wells
Not worried about him except for him being a big injury risk because of a huge increase in workload between 08-09; at least he didn't throw in Winter Ball

Gorz
Marshall
Shark
Nothing special about these guys

Silva
garbage, 139 ER his last 190 innings or something like that.

Lilly
The big question mark - Who knows how long its going to take to get back to form after the injury??

Wildcard
Jay Jackson, Chris Carptenter, bullpen
how good are these guys going to be??

That's the biggest difference between this teams and last years, and its not a positive difference IMO.