fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:30 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Sandberg In Red - And Other Thoughts ...

If the Cubs / Epstein / Hoyer have any real interest in Ryne Sandberg as Cub Field Manager they may have to move fast and decisively - The World Champions have asked for permission to speak to him about their managerial opening:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...-sandberg.html

I personally am intrigued by the idea of Sandberg as Cub Manager, he seems to be a winner whether playing or leading. Of course he may be the next Bart Starr but most decisions have risks involved.

[Edit: As most of you probably know Sandberg will Not be the next Cubs Field Manager:

" ...The shocking news was that Sandberg would not be considered. In a statement, Epstein said the next Cubs manager "must have managerial or coaching experience at the major league level." ... "

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1100346.story end-edit]

Another decision with risks would be the signing of Prince Fielder. This is one big-bucks decision I would like the Cubs to say yes on, however. It seems such a fine fit to me, primarily because he is the sort of fellow you build a batting order around and he is just entering the statistical prime of his career. Go for it ! Bat fielder 4th and build around that.

I think Castro may be ready to bat 3rd as well. To me he's a young N. Garciaparra. I do have to wonder if he's a true SS, however. Is he ? Who bats 1st and 2nd ?

And who backs up Fielder if he were signed (in the batting order, not at the bag - that should be LaHair and Soriano) ? Who bats 5th and 6th ? It would be great if LaHair were the "real deal" - but is he ? Where does he play on the field (RF - 1B) ? He's not in the game for his glove. He might be prime trade material.

Aramis Ramirez won't be the #5 hitter, that seems apparent. #6 will be Sluggo Soriano that does seem certain. Bummer ! Maybe Epstein / Hoyer can pull off a miracle and get him a DH job as far away from Wrigley as possible. Could happen.

The 3rd base market is extremely thin. Two guys that interest me for the Cubs infield are Kevin Youkilis ( http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ouklke01.shtml ) (bat #2) and Jimmy Rollins ( http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...olliji01.shtml ) (bat #1). I's sure somebody out there has something nasty to say about those thoughts.

A Fielder (1B) - Castro (2B) - Rollins (SS) - Youkilis (3B) infield intrigues me. In fact:

1. Rollins
2. Youkilis
3. Castro
4. Fielder
5. RF - LaHair ?
6. Soriano - ( boo ! )
7. Soto
8. Byrd

really excites me.

I'd re-sign Wood and the crazy back-up CF who's is not coming to me. (Reed Johnson)

Someone foolish suggested the Mark Buehrle might become a Cub. ( http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...n-buehrle.html ) A snowball stands a better chance of surviving in Hell than that happening !

Maybe if this post gets any response we can all insult each other about our ideas for Cubs pitching. I hear Zambrano may actually pitch another year for the Cubs. Whoda thunk it ?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:59 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

The 2013 FA pitching class has some huge names: Hamels, Shields, Marcum, Greinke, and some others.

I would hate to blow $$$ on Buehrle or CJ Wilson. I'd rather find some stopgaps for a year, get a big bat this year, and get pitching next when maybe Cashner and McNutt are ready to step up.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:06 am
Veteran

My Mood:

I would hire Mike Maddux

and his brother as pitching coach- Call me nostalgic or old fashioned but there is no way those two individuals can do worse than the old regime- no chance!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:39 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Get pitching next year ...

" ... The 2013 FA pitching class has some huge names: Hamels, Shields, Marcum, Greinke, and some others ... "

Yes, I would have to agree. That's no small reason why I'd like to see the offense tightened up this year. I really think getting Fielder is huge. You build around a guy like that. (Your suggestion of Prado is also very interesting, I might add.)

This off-season about the only pitcher I'd go after would be Tampa Bay's Wade Davis who, it appears, is available. I've always liked Davis and he would really solidify the back-side of the Cubs rotation at #4 or something like that. I also read that Tampa is (once again) looking for catching help in return for the Davis. I'd send them Soto ( a major disappointment to me) and consider myself quite lucky. Davis is 6-5 - 220 and just turned 26. I think he is about to "emerge". He could be a really good.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...aviswa01.shtml

It seems the Cubs are considering keeping Zambrano for 1 more year (or 1/2 year if he pitches well) and a Garza - Dempster - Zambrano - Davis - Wells rotation could be very competitive I believe. Next year we pick up an "ace" .

What do the Cubs do about 3B ?
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:34 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
What do the Cubs do about 3B ?
Good question. I'd say get a 1-yr rental from somewhere.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:39 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

ARam

He is not drawing the interest he thought he would we might end up with him again and at a reduced price. Should have accepted the option.
Sponsored Links