fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:44 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Corey Koskie and Curt Schilling. My thoughts

Yesterday two seperate news stories broke involving the Chicago Cubs, that made me sit back and think. In case you don't know what I am talking about, the Cubs signed Corey Koskie to a minor league deal yesterday. On top of that, Curt Schilling made news saying that he wants to pitch for Chicago or Tampa Bay to help them win the World Series. To be perfectly honest, I am not sure at all what to think about either one of these stories. I could go either way with both of these players. Both players have been out of baseball for atleast a year with injuries of some sort, and both feel that they are ready, willing, and able to make a comeback and contribute to a team, and help them win this year.

When it comes to Koskie, he hasn't played baseball since 2006 when he was with the Milwaukee Brewers. He suffered a concussion when he fell fielding a fly ball. The Cubs signed him because he could be exactly what they need. If he makes the team, he would be the backup third baseman that we desperately need. Before Spring Training started, the Cubs were looking in house for a back up to Aramis Ramirez with Mike Fontenot, Aaron Miles and Ryan Theriot. Both Jim Hendry a Lou Piniella said that there were more then comfortable with those three being backups for Ramirez, but the signing of Koske seems to speak otherwise. Koskie is a lifetime .275 hitter and has a career fielding percentage of .966. Most of his career he spent manning third base with the Minnesota Twins, handling those tough hops of the turf in the dome. His last two years in the league, he played for Toronto and Milwaukee.

Koskie will be playing for Team Canada in the upcoming World Baseball Classic, and you know that the Cubs will be keeping a close eye on how he is doing. He will join Cubs camp when Canada's campaign is over, and he will compete for a bench roll on the club. To be perfectly honest, there is only one person, maybe two on the bench who I see him in competition with. Miles, Theriot, Fontenot, Johnson and Fukudome are not going anywhere. Three of them will be the everday starters, with the other two being on the bench. Paul Bako and Koye Hill are in competition to be the backup catcher. That leaves Joey Gathright and Micha Hoffpauir as the two roadblocks for Koskie to make the club. Both men, I feel, will be tough to beat out. Gathright is the 5th outfielder, he adds speed to the team, and can play every outfield position. Hoffpauir adds a power bat from the left side off the bench, something that is much needed on the Cubs and most other clubs. The only other option, would be Piniella taking one less pitcher in the bullpen, something I don't see him doing. It will be interesting to say the least to see where things go with Koskie and the Cubs.

That brings me to Schilling, he is someone I both admire and despise at the same time. I admire him, because he is a great pitcher, who has done many things. He helped the expansion Arizona Diamondbacks win their first World Series. From there, he went on to help the Boston Red Sox win the World Series and break the supposed Curse of the Bambino. He has a mystic around him that can't be matched by many other players in baseball, if any. But I despise him because he is a mouth. He always has a comment on something, even when its not something that he is involved in. He always has a comment to make on something. But all that aside, I have mixed feelings on whether or not I want him on the Cubs. Schilling missed all of 2008 after having shoulder surgery following the 2007 World Series championship season for the Red Sox.

In an interview with ESPN, Schilling said that he is looking for a team that has championship potential and has never won a title. He went on to say that "The challenge would be in a place like Tampa Bay or Chicago". Note that he never specifically mentioned the Cubs, it is just an assumption that he means the Northsiders. You know what they say about people who assume things. While he also says that chances of a return are about 20%, this is not something that could be ignored by Cub fans, or by Hendry who was approached by the idea. hendry said he would look into it if Schilling approached the club about a possible comeback. Where I find pause, is with his age, and with him coming off shoulder surgery. Schilling is currently 42 years old, which in baseball terms is pretty damn old, add a recovering shoulder to that, and its not a good mix.

According to the report, Schilling stated that money isn't an issue, though players always say that, and rarely do they mean it. However, if he were to join the Cubs, that would push Sean Marshall back into the bullpen where he would either resume his role as lefty in the bullpen. Thats where things could take an interesting turn. If Marshall returns to the bullpen, Neal Cotts would either act as the second lefty in the pen, sent to the minors, traded, or given his outright release. If Cotts were to make the club, that would mean that Jeff Samardzija would be sent to the minors along with Angel Guzman and the rest of the pitchers competing for the final bullpen spot. Unless Cotts doesn't make the team because Marshall is back in the bullpen. If that is the case, Cotts would likely be traded. However, we are getting ahead of ourselves. Schilling hasn't decided yet if he wants to come back or not, nor has he ever specifically said he wants to pitch for the Cubs. This is more of a wait and see situation, one I don't see coming true. IF it does, I will have more to say on it, til then, its on the back burner for me.

Thoughts, comments?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:55 am
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
I think Schilling would be a good addition for one main reason, and that's the fact that he has proven himself time and time again in the playoffs. In 19 postseason starts, he has 4 complete games, an 11-2 record, and a 2.23 ERA. And I don't know about you guys, but I think having someone with that kind of postseason experience is exactly what we need to actually win a damn game in October.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:59 am
MVP

My Mood:
Give me Peavy and ditch the question mark
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:02 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLYCOW!25 View Post
I think Schilling would be a good addition for one main reason, and that's the fact that he has proven himself time and time again in the playoffs. In 19 postseason starts, he has 4 complete games, an 11-2 record, and a 2.23 ERA. And I don't know about you guys, but I think having someone with that kind of postseason experience is exactly what we need to actually win a damn game in October.
But is that the pitcher we are going to get? He is just 8 months off shoulder surgery. Who knows what we will be getting from him. He has a great resume, thats for sure. But how much does he have left in the tank. And how healthy is that shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEYHEY View Post
Give me Peavy and ditch the question mark
Can we ditch the Peavy talk? Wasn't gong to happen, and still wont. He goes into the Brian Roberts catagory.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:32 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenjamin View Post
But is that the pitcher we are going to get? He is just 8 months off shoulder surgery. Who knows what we will be getting from him. He has a great resume, thats for sure. But how much does he have left in the tank. And how healthy is that shoulder.
True, but obviously before they would ever sign him, he would have to pass a physical, and I'm sure with his recent medical history that they would be very cautious about any problems that came up. I will admit though, that never is a clear cut way of telling is someone will breakdown later.

I think it would be a good option if he came in around the second half, like he said he might want to do. I'm not saying Hendry should definitely go after him, but down the road at that point in the season, we have no idea what the situation is gonna be for the Cubs, and if it looks like it would be beneficial at that point, then I would be up for something like that.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:47 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

That I can agree with. After readiing his blog (which I also posted here for you guys) he is talking about a mid season appearance that leads to postseason.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:57 am
Veteran

My Mood:

"I despise him because he is a mouth. He always has a comment on something, even when its not something that he is involved in. He always has a comment to make on something".

I do not like him as a person and especially despise his politics.

I don't know if he could help us or not. I don't know whether to be offended like he will be the Cub savior?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:14 pm
Minor Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenjamin View Post
In an interview with ESPN, Schilling said that he is looking for a team that has championship potential and has never won a title. He went on to say that "The challenge would be in a place like Tampa Bay or Chicago". Note that he never specifically mentioned the Cubs, it is just an assumption that he means the Northsiders. You know what they say about people who assume things.
Unless Chicago has added a third professional baseball team that I don't know about, I'm pretty sure a Chicago team that has never won a championship (in his lifetime at least) = the Cubs.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:09 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

i know, just pointing out that he didn't initially say the Cubs
Sponsored Links