fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:53 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Yankees did it again

Sorry for using ESPN but this is my source right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3790141

Free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira has reached agreement with the New York Yankees on an eight-year contract worth $180 million, two sources involved in the negotiations tell ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The Yankees swooped in on the 28-year-old Teixeira on Tuesday when it was believed the Boston Red Sox or the Washington Nationals were the likeliest to be his future employer. The Red Sox's offer was believed to be in the range of $170 million, and the Nationals reached out with an offer perhaps greater than that of Boston.

Teixeira finished last season with the Los Angeles Angels following a trade from Atlanta. The Angels withdrew from negotiations on Sunday night, in a very public manner, and say they were moving on to other players.

Because Teixeira grew up in the Baltimore area, the Orioles had long been viewed as a possible landing spot for him. But since the O's made a seven-year, $140 million offer, they did not revise it -- nor have they had active negotiations with his agent, Scott Boras, according to sources.

Teixeira's negotiations with the Red Sox appeared to stall last week in the failed meeting between the team executives and the player. The Nationals reportedly made an offer of eight years and $160 million.

The first baseman, who batted .308 with 33 home runs, 121 RBIs and a .552 slugging percentage for the Angels and Braves last season, had made it clear that he wanted to make a decision on where to play next season and beyond by Christmas.

The Yankees have spent more than $400 million in salary in the last month, with $161 million going to left-handed pitcher CC Sabathia in a seven-year deal and $82.5 million on right-hander A.J. Burnett for five years.

The agreement with Teixeira gives New York the four highest-paid players in baseball -- third baseman Alex Rodriguez, shortstop Derek Jeter, Sabathia and Teixeira.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:20 pm

My Mood:

Send a message via ICQ to VanMan Send a message via AIM to VanMan Send a message via MSN to VanMan Send a message via Yahoo to VanMan Send a message via Skype™ to VanMan
Where did the Yankees come from on this one? They weren't even in the ZIP code or area code until this gets announced.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 2:24 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

20 mm more than everyone else.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:34 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Buy another one! This is getting really sickening-
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:54 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICcubfan View Post
Buy another one! This is getting really sickening-
What's worse: The Yankees payroll, or the payroll of the Pirates/Marlins/every other team who won't spend what it takes to win? The Yankees take the profits they make, and invest it back into the teams on-field product. If anything, the lengths they go to win should be applauded. Will it work? Probably not. But it won't be for lack of effort.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:50 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bims View Post
What's worse: The Yankees payroll, or the payroll of the Pirates/Marlins/every other team who won't spend what it takes to win? The Yankees take the profits they make, and invest it back into the teams on-field product. If anything, the lengths they go to win should be applauded. Will it work? Probably not. But it won't be for lack of effort.
Yea because the markets work exactly the same. When KC has a TV radio deal that is 2 million for the season it surely competes with the Yankees and the YES network. Get over it with they reinvest in the team, of course they do because they have more resources.
The reason the NFL is so great because Wellington Mara, New York owner, from the beginning of the NFL said we need to share in order for our game to survive. Baseball does not do it. The Brewers offer 120 million to CC and he blows out his arm in year 2 they cant recover the Yankees can cover up their mistakes. The Pirates go out and sign Pavano for what the Yankees did and he has the same problem that team is done until he is gone. The Yankees just go out there and sign someone else. Baseball money situation stinks.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:57 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
WOW !! I agree with you here !

What is the worse thing about the Marlins and Pirates is that they take the money from the Yankee's " fine " and stick it in their pocket !!! The whole idea of fining teams for exceeding the payroll cap was to give money to the small market teams to put in their payroll so they can put a more competitive product on the field . It was to help cancel out the huge discrepancy.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:42 am
Veteran

My Mood:

So how did they spread around the 27 million to 30 teams?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:28 am
Veteran

My Mood:

If they would contract 6 teams that would make the game a lot more interesting in my opinion. I wouldn't mind the Skankees buying everything if the baseball product overall was better. When they load up like this the feast on guys who should not be pitching... Steve Trachsel, Julian Taveras, Scott Eyre, Latroy Hawkins, Kyle Farnsworth, Will Ohman, Bob Howry. I guess I just hate them like I hate Manchester United in EPL soccer.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 11:20 am
Minor Leaguer

Quote:
Like those damn Tampa Bay Rays who were 29th in payroll last year?

Or the Twins who missed the playoffs by one game and were 25th?

The teams with the top 3 payrolls (Yankees, Mets, Tigers) didn't even make the playoffs last year. Hell, the Tigers were fighting to stay out of last place.

It's not really how much money you spend... It's who and what you spend it on.