fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Dec 9th 2009, 6:26 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Trading Bradley might be harder than you thought

http://muskat.mlblogs.com/archives/2...on_milton.html

The Cubs may be running out of options regarding Milton Bradley.

There were no surprise teams in either league interested in the switch-hitting outfielder on Wednesday at the Winter Meetings, just one unlikely scenario. ESPN reported the Cubs would be open to a Mike Lowell for Bradley trade. A Cubs official didn't dismiss the report, saying they were willing to look into any deal.

Tampa Bay appears to be the best match with a Bradley for Pat Burrell deal, but that most likely won't be consumated unless the Cubs pick up a majority of the $21 million still owed Bradley over two years. The Rays are only committed to Burrell for $9 million next year.
Bradley can thank the White Sox's Kenny Williams for some promotional work, which the GM did at the risk of being charged with tampering.

"You know, the funny thing is, I've had the pleasure of talking to Milton in the past," Williams said, "and it saddens me to a great extent, actually, some of the situations that he's been put in or he's put himself in.

"I'd like to see this guy just be able to go out there without all the distractions and everything and do what he can do because this guy can play -- he can play," Williams said. "I don't know that I see a fit for us, and I probably shouldn't even be talking about him because he's not our player. But he can play. Milton Bradley can play.

"It's too bad because he's really a more thoughtful person and he's a better person than I think it's been portrayed or he's shown, however the [heck] it's manifested itself," he said. "It's too bad."

GM Jim Hendry said he has a good relationship with Williams, adding they "root against each other six times a year" during the Interleague series. The Cubs did their homework on Bradley, and were concerned about how many games he'd be able to play than his mood swings. He disappointed on the field and off, batting .257 in 124 games, and was suspended for the final 15 games because of detrimental conduct.

"We did a lot of work on Milton and talked to a lot of people who he played for and played with before we signed him," Hendry said. "Unfortunately, it didn't work out how we drew it up last year. He played well the two or three years before we got him, and played in the All-Star Game and a lot of darn good managers liked having him on the club and we're hoping he'll get his career back on track."

The only question remaining is with whom?

Before the Cubs arrived at the Indianapolis Marriott, Hendry said there were at least three teams interested in Bradley. On Wednesday, he indicated there were some new inquiries.

"You can't define other people's interest level," Hendry said, "but I think when you get to the middle of December and you're meeting and talking about certain players involved in trades, the other team has some interest."

The Cubs have laid the groundwork to fill the other items on their wish list, which is finding a center fielder, an experienced right-handed reliever and some bench help. The team will have scouts in Arizona to watch J.J. Putz throw on the side this week. He's coming back from elbow surgery in June for bone spurs.

Hendry has checked the free agent market for outfielders, which include Mike Cameron, a favorite of Cubs manager Lou Piniella.

"The thing that we came into here a little differently than normal is that there wasn't as much volume to look into," Hendry said. "We've had Winter Meetings where we needed more than two or three pieces, no matter who we wanted to trade or not trade. We've looked into all kinds of options."
-- Carrie Muskat
Old Dec 9th 2009, 6:27 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

If this is indeed true, as well as the report that the Cubs will NOT just cut him, he may be back next year afterall
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:24 pm
MVP

My Mood:
" ..... Trading Bradley might be harder than you thought ..... "

Been saying this for a long time my friend. "Toy Boy" is probably ours to endure - like it or not.

I will arrogantly - but unapologetically - repeat: the contract Hendry should be trying to move is Soriano's!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 1:08 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Apparently the majority of these Milton Bradley trade rumors were made up by the Cubs themselves and filtered through the press.

What a top-rate organization this is.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:01 am
Rookie

My Mood:

The Cub Brass are jerks. OK... They want MB out of town so they shut him down at the end of the season just to bring more attention to his antics. Do you want to sell your car because it didn't start? Then beat the hell out of it with a hammer and see if that will improve it's value. As far as I am concerned they should dump JH, uncle Lou, MB, Sorryano, the list goes on & on. If you were going to build a model for "How to NOT RUN Baseball Team" this is the model organization. Let the kids play and Ryno manage they can't sink this franchise any worse than JH's trades and wild spending on contracts that are next to impossible to get rid of.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:14 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC4CubsWin View Post
The Cub Brass are jerks. OK... They want MB out of town so they shut him down at the end of the season just to bring more attention to his antics. Do you want to sell your car because it didn't start? Then beat the hell out of it with a hammer and see if that will improve it's value. As far as I am concerned they should dump JH, uncle Lou, MB, Sorryano, the list goes on & on. If you were going to build a model for "How to NOT RUN Baseball Team" this is the model organization. Let the kids play and Ryno manage they can't sink this franchise any worse than JH's trades and wild spending on contracts that are next to impossible to get rid of.
^better said then me, although I disagree with the Ryno part.

And from all rumors, Silva was the 'clubhouse cancer' in Seattle that Bradley supposedly was in Chicago.

The only way the deal makes sense is if the cubs get a prospect or two back.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:55 am
MVP

My Mood:
As is often the case these days I'm confused. Milton Bradley needs to be moved to free up payroll money before any other moves can be made - that's been the party line - right ? This trade, however, seems to add $3, 000, 000 to the Cubs payroll commitment over the next two years. Where's the savings?

How much is Seattle kicking in ?
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:45 pm
Rookie

My Mood:

YES... MB is now history. When I first looked at the trade it has JH all over it. Trade for a guy that had a terrible year and is owed more $$ than they would have to pay MB. Bradley is owed $21 million over two years -- $9 million in 2010 and $12 million in '11. Silva has $25 million remaining on his deal -- $11.5 million in both '10 and '11 and a $2 million buyout on a '12 option.

But I read this on the MLB site:
The transaction needed approval by Major League Baseball because of the money involved. After taking both players' contracts into account, the Cubs will receive $6 million from the Mariners in addition to Silva.

So I guess the 6 million coming along with Silva will almost pay for his food bill. Not to mention his ERA. But let's look at it this way. JH bought high on MB, & Sorryono. Can he make it up by selling low on MB and Buying even lower on Silva. I guess only time will tell.