fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:43 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Sheets wants 10-12 mil a year?

not for somebody coming off elbow surgery
Old Jan 12th 2010, 3:04 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Here's an update

Quote:
TUESDAY, 11:50am: MLB.com's Carrie Muskat tweets that Cubs officials say Sheets' current asking price does not fit their budget. Sheets' agent Casey Close could stand to do a better job controlling the information on his client, because the reports of a $10-12MM demand make him look bad. Muskat says the Cubs are still looking for right-handed relief.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:45 pm
Little Leaguer

Even if the Cubs had the money, i wouldnt give that much to someone coming off surgery and already has the DL reserved months in advance.

He is a awesome talent if he is healthy. What a rotation that would be if he was healthy and the cubs manged to sign him
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:18 am
Rookie

My Mood:

That is way too much money for someone that is coming back from surgery. I could see letting him earn it with incentives, but that could be a problem as well. The Cub's have spent large amount of money on contracts that are almost impossible to get out of, "Without having to pay a ton of money to any team willing to take them".
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:59 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Why even entertain the idea ? He is much the same as Harden .
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:40 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
Why even entertain the idea ? He is much the same as Harden .
or Silva or Gorzellany or Samardzija or Marshall. When was the last time any of those guys threw 200 innings???

In WWII terms, I'd rather have one Tiger or Panther tank rather than one sherman or grant tank.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:19 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
In WWII terms, I'd rather have one Tiger or Panther tank rather than one sherman or grant tank.
Makes my point . The Tiger won the battle the Sherman won the war. The simple servicable design of the Sherman allowed the Allies to produce more and repair what broke. Over the length of the war the Sherman was able to see more service than the Tiger.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:50 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
Makes my point . The Tiger won the battle the Sherman won the war. The simple servicable design of the Sherman allowed the Allies to produce more and repair what broke. Over the length of the war the Sherman was able to see more service than the Tiger.
Yea because there were 44,000 shermans and 44,000 T-34s made compared to 1300 Tigers.

We're talking about one rotation spot between:

Sheets, Harden, Samardzija, Silva, Gorz, Marshall

None of those four are a lock to throw 180+ innings, so I'd take the one with the best track record.

But I agree, $10-12 million for one year is too much for Sheets.

Of course, the worst-case scenario is if the Cubs actually sign some garbage like Contreras or spend a couple million on a mediocre RH relief pitcher
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:05 pm
Little Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bockstock View Post
or Silva or Gorzellany or Samardzija or Marshall. When was the last time any of those guys threw 200 innings???

Marshall has never been given the chance to throw 200. I personally would love to see what he could do when he starts all the time and not be tossed around between the pen and rotation

Gorzelanny did it in 2007 and had a sub 4.00 ERA
Old Jan 17th 2010, 2:05 pm
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstyle81 View Post

Gorzelanny did it in 2007 and had a sub 4.00 ERA
That's exactly the point.

Since the big complaint about Harden seems to be his average IP per outing, lets look at how he compares to his potential replacements in length of outings from 2006-2009

Marshall 5.1
Gorz 5.2
Silva 5.2
Harden 5.2

Right off the bat the Cubs are going to be missing about 200 IP of quality innnings compared to last year (Harden + one month or more of Lilly on the DL). It also seems the Cubs are counting on Wells and Lilly to have repeat seasons of last year without Lilly having any lingering effects of injuries for the remainder of the season.

Could Gorz (who was alittle unlucky last year) or Samardzija step-in and perform at least at replacement level??? possibly, Gorz could probably be a league average guy. Could the Cubs plan to add a starter at the deadline?? possibly. But, as you can tell a Sheets signing would be a real boost to the starting pitching staff,even if its only 100-150 IP.

Also, the Cardinals and Brewers will also likely be in on the Sheets deal.
Sponsored Links