fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:53 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Peavy

Apparently San Diego is close to putting Peavy on the trading block, and he mentioned he wants to go to an NL team with a chance of winning.

I don't think the cubs could compete for STL or MIL in terms of prospects, but Hendry has a good working relationship with Kevin Towers, so you never know.

EDIT: I see this was brought up in the other thread, nevermind.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:09 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

lol, we should sign Sabathia, strade for Peavy, get allstars at every postition. damn, you guys want everyone
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:54 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenjamin View Post
lol, we should sign Sabathia, strade for Peavy, get allstars at every postition. damn, you guys want everyone
yeah that's it lol we want everything lol

No, I think it would be worth looking into considering Dempster's career year, Zambrano's declining peripherals and increasing trips to the DL, the fact the Cubs don't know how many inning sthey are going to get from Harden, and that they will probably trade Marquis.

Then I thnk with Howry probably gone(yea I know big loss, but he's better than Hart/Pignatello/Wells who would fill in for him), Wood possibly going to the open market, and Samardzija still a bit away from starting it's an idea to consider.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:36 am
Rookie

Peavy is 0-2 with a 12.10 ERA in his 2 post season starts.

Sabathia is 1-3 with A 7.92 ERA in 5 post season starts.

so while they may be good regular season guys-

Come next October if we're in it again and these 2 are on the roster, i'm not confident with either on the mound.

i know a lot of great pitchers get lit up in the post season

but both Zambrano and Dempster have better ERA's than that and the motivation to excise their past season failures.

now if they want to talk Soriano for Peavy, that might be interesting. Fonzie's not going to conect with the Cubs fan base until he proves it in the post season. he could be a 50/50 guy next year and we're not going to be impressed until he shows up in the playoffs.

that is a huge issue for him.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:52 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Sign anyone with that caliber and it can only help us. The only way to push the players to the next level is by making them perform like their livelyhood depends on it. It's called competition.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 2:37 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
from Rotoworld:

Quote:
Jake Peavy told reporters at the end of the season that he would not accept a trade to the AL.

When asked about his trade stance again Tuesday in the midst of reports that he's on the block Peavy responded that he didn't "want to get into any speculation." His preference is important given the full no-trade clause included in his recent contract extension. "Jake has a strong preference to stay in the National League," agent Barry Axelrod said. Alexrod added that "Jake would only approve a trade to a team with a solid chance of winning," specifically mentioning Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and St. Louis as cities that fit "his and his family's lifestyle."
Putting the business part of it aside for a moment, can you imagine a rotation with Zambrano, Peavy, Harden, Lilly and perhaps Dempster.....

but I do agree that we definately need bullpen help before a big named starter.... especially a lefty... and someone to replace Howry!
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:48 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

I really don't expect any major changes to the pitching staff . Zell is broke and banks are not lending the kind of money it would take to buy the Cubs so a new owner soon is unlikely.

We may see some changes to the fielding positions but nothing extreme.

The Cubs argument will be this was a 97 win team so why change it.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:29 am
Hall Of Famer

My Mood:

exactly. with the ecomonmy the way it is, the team wont be sold anytime soon. I dont expect any major signings. In fact, I would not be surprised to see some more expensive pieces of this club sold off.

Zell is broke, he wont be able to spend a lot of money. i dont even know if we will be able to resign our two FAs that most want resigned. Dempster and Wood might get big money on the FA Market.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeEila's/rant View Post
The Cubs argument will be this was a 97 win team so why change it.
The Cubs fan argument would be this was a 0 win team in the playoffs for the second straight season.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:07 pm
Banned

The Cubs don't have the trading chips/farm system to compete with all the teams that will be in on Peavy. Besides, Peavy isn't what the Cubs need. But I do think the Cubs should get a lees expensive pitcher(Olsen, Bonderman, Robertson). ... The key to the Cubs off season will be letting Dempster go. It won't be easy to do considering the season he had. Plus he's a really good guy. The Cubs just can't afford to pay out big bucks for a carrer season that will never come close to being matched. ... Furcal, his constant getting injured, and his defense at SS are also NOT what the Cubs need. Giving him a big contract as he slips further out of his prime would be another big mistake. ... I think the Cubs also made a mistake in picking up Lou's options so soon. I do not think he is the manager that can lead this team to a World Series.
Sponsored Links